Tuesday, August 4, 2015

My Favorite Smoothie


When friends and family visit me, I serve them my favorite smoothie made from berries and coconut water, which is so yummy that I am always asked for the recipe. So here it is--the smoothie I discovered by accident. I was about to toss overripe bananas into the garbage when I researched online what else I can make with them other than the usual fattening banana cake. This smoothie recipe is so simple, as I had illustrated below.

This is such a delicious, refreshing and most important, nutritious smoothie that is so easy to make and I drink it everyday. Since then I noticed that I have more energy, my blood pressure stays low and I have even lost a few pounds. It is great for people with MG, but I think it is just as awesome for everyone else. Because the fruits are frozen, there is no need to use ice. Make sure the fruits are ripe before freezing them. This way, you will not need to use sugar. All ingredients are good for the body, and you should just trust me and stop reading here now and go to the grocery store and stock up. But if you really must know, here is a breakdown of the ingredients and their most important health benefits.

Bananas
- rich in potassium, which protects against heart attack, hypertension and stroke; increases alertness
- has high levels of tryptophan, which is converted to serotonin and helps overcome depression
- anti-inflammatory, protects against type-II diabetes
- relieves digestive problems including diarrhea, constipation, acid reflux, ulcers
- lowers body temperature during a fever
- helps speed recovery from nicotine withdrawal

Strawberries
- anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant
- helps lower risk of heart disease, helps lower blood pressure
- helps burn stored fat
- promotes bone health, eye health, strong hair and nails

Blueberries
- anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant
- promotes healthy bones
- helps lower blood pressure, helps lower cholesterol
- helps improve blood sugar
- helps promote short-term memory
- aids weight loss
- fights wrinkles

Raspberries
- anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant
- helps lower risk of heart disease, helps lower blood pressure
- aids weight loss
- promotes bone health, eye health
- alleviates arthritis

Coconut water
- high in potassium, helps protect against heart disease, lowers blood pressure

Flaxseed
- helps reduce risk of heart disease, stroke, diabetes and cancer
- aids weight loss
- anti-inflammatory
- helps lower cholesterol

Now go, buy, freeze, blend and drink up. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment